DutyCalculator Help Center
Import taxes explained
- The basics of import duty and taxes
- How to calculate import duty and taxes
- Who prepares the customs declaration
- Who pays import duty and taxes
- Minimum thresholds
- When to pay import duty and taxes
- Handling or brokerage fees
- Example calculation - golf clubs from China to USA
- Example calculation - guitar & amp from USA to UK
- Example calculation - laptop and dress from UK to Canada
- Special cases
- About DutyCalculator
- Tariff classification guidelines
- Guaranteed DDP
Who is responsible for the payment of import duty and taxes?
The importer of record is responsible for the payment of duties and taxes, unless the invoice specifies that a third party should be billed.
The shipping provider will normally pay the duty and VAT taxes to Customs on behalf of the importer, and will often charge an advancement fee for providing this service.
In most cases the courier will not release the shipment to the recipient until their charges and any taxes due have been collected.