DutyCalculator Help Center
Import taxes explained
- The basics of import duty and taxes
- How to calculate import duty and taxes
- Who prepares the customs declaration
- Who pays import duty and taxes
- Minimum thresholds
- When to pay import duty and taxes
- Handling or brokerage fees
- Example calculation - golf clubs from China to USA
- Example calculation - guitar & amp from USA to UK
- Example calculation - laptop and dress from UK to Canada
- Special cases
- About DutyCalculator
- Tariff classification guidelines
- Guaranteed DDP
When do I have to pay duty and VAT?
Import duty and taxes become due at the time the imported goods are declared to customs; this will normally happen soon after the goods arrive in the country of destination, and before they are cleared and delivered.
In most cases taxes would be paid on behalf of the importer by the carrier or broker handling the shipment, who will then bill these charges on to the importer.